Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Timing is EVERYTHING

Let's begin with a little background on me and the hubby...
 It all started on my Sweet 16th Birthday.  A mutual friend brought the hubby to my party.  We began as friends first.   Fast forward 15 years: Married, 2 kids, 1 dog, MANY wonderful friends we call family and a HUGE life-changing career later here we are. 
Since I can remember the hubby wanted to be in law enforcement. I never did like the idea, however did always know he'd make a really great peace officer some day.  Over the last 8 years he made a few attempts at close by agencies never making it  much farther than the backgrounds, we found ourselves just going thru life and raising our kids. (and to be honest I was kinda happy he'd moved on from the idea)  About 1 year and 4 months ago the hubby approached me once again with "going for his dream".   With some hesitation, I agreed to this idea. I myself had made some career changes by choice to be home more with my kids and he supported me every time. I felt as if it was the very least I could do for him in return.  With every passing of each step in the long process I began to feel more proud of this man I love so much.   As we approached the very last step I began to feel more nervous because I knew he was "in".  I just had a feeling.  I had to get used to the idea- this is really happening and NOW.  I believe timing is EVERYTHING.  I know that right now is the time for him to do this, he's physically(in the BEST shape of his life) and mentally ready, him and I are strong as ever, he's ready for a change in his career and he deserves it.   We got the official call on Sept 20 they wanted to hire him and put him thru their academy beginning Oct 1st.  When he shared the news with me he sounded so calm and not very excited.  As I thought about it- of course he's happy and probably very excited, BUT he now would have to give notice at his job he's been at for 12+ years.  This job, while not challenging to him at all did provide SO much for us and him over the years.. GREAT benefits, GREAT retirement, GREAT people, close to home, security, room for growth, it was what he knew and they loved him there.  They loved him so much that there was a "small" going away luncheon for him on his last day with 50 people in attendance.   This was his chance though to make his life-long dream come true FINALLY! And I couldn't be PROUDER of my MAN!
I decided to start this blog for Academy Wife's and obviously going forward I'll begin to write about life as a police wife(even typing it is weird for me) and how we get thru it!  I am struggling a bit with a few things and have found comfort in talking to my best friends, family and have begun following other "police wife" blogs.  I believe and hope thru my blogging that I can help other wife's/spouses/mom's/dad's/children- whoever  get thru this really hard challenging time that we call the police Academy or as the kids call it "Daddy's School".

No comments:

Post a Comment