Monday, December 24, 2012

Enjoying this Holiday Season


Although I am burned out a little right now (if I am burned out, I can imagine the Hubby must definitely be burned out!) of the Academy I am enjoying every little thing and taking it all in that he's got a  8-5ish M-F shift with all Holiday's and weekends OFF right now.  We picked out and decorated our tree, him and I wrapped the kid's presents together, we've went out looking at Christmas lights as a family and again with friends. Not too many plans on our weekends- just family time.  For the Christmas Holiday our only plans are for dinner at Dads on Christmas Eve,  stay home all day with the kids and then have dinner at my mom's on Christmas Day.

  Next season will probably be drastically different!  That I am not looking forward too, I can handle him working Thanksgiving and even Christmas Eve-maybe. BUT if he's working Christmas morning,  that will be the toughest for me.  That's my favorite time (obviously since we have small kids it's the BEST time during the Holiday season) We'll just have to get creative as to when Santa visits our home because Daddy's a police officer. As excited as our kids are for that alone I am sure they'll not even care when Santa comes.  Again- one day at a time- that's a whole year from now! Any cop wives have suggestions on how you handle Christmas Morning if the Hubby is working??

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just read through your blog-found you through another cops wifes blog. In regards to your question about handeling Christmas Morning if the hubby is working (or, more likley, sleeping) you learn to adjust. Most likley, though I have no clue how his department will work, he will start out at the low end of the totem pole, which means working crappy shifts, like midnights or swings, which means that at least in the case of Christmas morning, he might be home, but he might want to be sleeping because he will probably have to go into work later. Being on the low end of the totem pole also means having possibly no or not great holidays off and working the good holidays. So you learn to adjust. You celebrate Christmas on his day off that is closest to Christmas-it may not be Christmas day, but it's YOUR Christmas. If he needs to sleep in the morning you start in the afternoon. Same goes for all of the other holidays, you adjust. It sounds like from some of your other posts that you have a nice, supportive family, so hopefully they will be willing to adjust as well, and be able to recognize that Thanksgiving may need to be held on a Tuesday evening or a Saturday evening if they want everyone together. I've been married to my cop hubby for five years and when he was just starting out we had crappy schedules-so we adjusted. His schedules still not great (they did some department downsizing, kicking alot of higher-ups back onto patrol meaning my husband moved down the totem pole not up, bleh) but he's finally at the point where he has some choice of what holidays he has off. I realize now that this is a really long comment-but I just wanted to answer your question and let you know you will find a way to make things work. The important thing is celebrating together, the actual date is irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie, for reading and for replying. It's greatly appreciated. YES our family and friends-who we also call family are amazing. We are incredibly lucky. And I like that you say the actual date is irrelevant- that really sticks with me. Thanks again!!

      Delete